Friday, October 29, 2010

Just like waiting for a race to start

You know that feeling when you first wake up the morning of a race? Maybe it starts the night before but that "Woah, something big is going to happen" feeling?

That's what this morning felt like. I had things set up the night before. Bug's snack for school, his halloween costume in a bag for the sitter to put on him. Trouble's spare outfit, the cards and paperwork we needed to bring.

We got up with the alarm. Both Hubby and I wide awake much earlier than we normally get up at. First we got Bug up and ready for the sitter's (shes across the street) and then we got Trouble up and out the door to the hospital (The doctor's with a H mommy). Got through registration quickly and up to the Ped's floor. Got him checked in and in his little hospital gown. We had to be there an hour and a half before the scheduled start time and that was 8 so by 7am Trouble was hanging out in the playroom with the other kids waiting to head down to the surgical floor. While we were waiting I mentioned to Hubby that it felt like waiting for a race to start. I'm all nerves till I hit that start line and let things fall where ever they go. I just couldn't see that damn start line.

by 8:15 the Doctor came and collected Trouble who I found out afterwards had no issues doing anything asked and was apparently full of "what's that?"s. We went off to the waiting room and Ahhhh there was my start line. I was fairly confident I would cry after I sent him off but nope. It was sad and scary but no tears. It was time to just go and let all the prep work and doctor's do their thing. I know while we were waiting I kept reading the same two paragraphs over and over again in the book I was reading and that sucked.

I couldn't even tell you what time it was when they said he was in recovery and that one of us could go see him. I was just up and didn't even give Hubs the chance. and Trouble was PISSED. He was pissed with the IV in his hand. He was confused and didn't like that at all. He was the loudest one in the recovery room so even though there was some kids who got to recovery before us we got sent up the after care room first mostly to get the noise out of there. It did take a while for him to calm down and that was hard having your 3 year old cuddle for like 20 seconds then fling themselves away from you and fight any help. Bah. But eventually he calmed down. It even took a while to convince him that you had to drink some juice or have a popsicle before we could take the IV out and go home. But he got that one too. I think his favourite part was at discharge he got a bag of Halloween candy and a new toothbrush. We were home by 10:30-ish. By noon he was fully back to normal and you'd have no clue unless we told you that he had minor surgery under general that morning.

He even joined his brother for the Kindergym and Art class they take on Friday afternoons.

I told him we have to go back in two weeks for a follow up to make sure the stitches all dissolved and to get the test results. He asked if he gets more candy. yeah he's fine.

3 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog and the daily mile widget, thanks for sharing your comments an widget idea.

    Richard (www.blaznfast.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the surgery went well. What a relief it must be to have it behind you now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that it went well. The stress if finally over!

    ReplyDelete